Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ice Cream Man

One of my favorite childhood memories was chasing the ice cream truck around my mid-west neighborhood (for what seemed like miles) all summer.  That tinny sounding carnival music still brings back those memories of grabbing all the change I could find and racing out the door with the rest of the neighborhood kids and finding the elusive ice cream man.  I saw this ice-cream man today and couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a shot.  To most of you, it might seem strange for someone to be selling ice-cream in January but not in the desert!  It was hot and sunny today and I honestly think this is where they go off-season to work.  This particular truck made me giggle because it was marked "El Mexicano Ice Cream" and everything was in Spanish.  I was in the Latino area of town so it wasn't surprising, just funny that we are all the same in spite of our differences.  The kids were just as choosy too--they made him pull out 3 different items for their approval before they chose one (when we were kids we took anything he handed us, I'm sure).  I admit that I'm guilty of shielding my daughter from the ice-cream truck because I make an effort to grab her and run in the house when I hear the tell-tale music.  Is she being robbed of a magical childhood experience?  Nah, this kid just made homemade ice-cream last week with Dad.  She probably wouldn't even like the "hyper stripe," "double king neapolitan" or "banana blast pop" anyway...right?  Is anyone else guilty of this?

No comments:

Post a Comment