Thursday, January 19, 2012

Life in Suburbia

I long for a day when we live in a place surrounded by grass and trees.  I want to allow my child to open the front door without putting the fear of God in her that a stranger might harm her.  I wish the neighbors didn't close the garage door behind them when they drove in, in an effort to avoid all social interaction.  I want pretty birds to eat at our bird feeder, not fat pigeons.  I want to wave to my neighbors instead of hide behind a 6 foot tall cinder block wall.  I want a view.

For today, this is my suburbia.  I live in a fishbowl with lots of other fish who look just like me.  They live in stucco houses and have the same trees planted in the rocks in front of their houses.  They keep their windows closed and doors locked and they never knock on the door and ask to borrow anything.  It's a desaturated version of the life I long for...when you open the door of my rented home in suburbia it's warm and welcoming.  It smells good and there are smiley faces to greet you.  It's a happy, loving home...the colors are rich and vibrant, it's nice in my nest.  But, when I walk out the door...the colors fade again and everything becomes muted...it's ok, but that's it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment