Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Tomato in February


Isn't this tomato a thing of beauty?  I was giddy when I saw it in the grocery store and almost sliced it before I could capture it and share it with you.  It taste like a mouthful of summer...in the winter.  Hmmm, it's winter, right?  Where did this fabulous tomato come from anyway?  I forgot to check but the bummer is that it didn't come from my garden or any other garden within 100 miles.  I think we are all so confused by what grows when because our stores fill the produce section with everything...all the time!  When I read "French Women Don't Get Fat" she kept stressing the importance of eating only what is in season and I found myself asking, isn't everything in season?  It's at my grocery store.  I found myself going to the farmers market (everything is brought in from California because so few farmers exist in the greater Las Vegas area) being disappointed that they didn't have more variety--silly girl.  I still shop (and eat) with my eyes but I will tell you that this lovely heirloom was delicious, and I will likely enjoy another one tomorrow...winter or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment