Monday, August 13, 2012

Bike Town

It's no surprise that hippie-Oregon is home to eco-friendly bikers and that signs like this one are everywhere but I was a little surprised that it still feels very dangerous to ride a bike in Portland.  These old, narrow roads just aren't wide enough to support the kind of infrastructure that's established in other bike-friendly towns such like I've seen in Europe, like Stockholm and Copenhagen.  A bike path does not always equate to a safe environment...hopefully that will change.  I honestly struggled with what to share today because there were so many fun photo ops today!  I loved the "Chicken and Dumplings" neon sign on the historic highway, the fifty shades of green in the parks, the cool rock music night club with red and blue lights glowing in the night, the AMAZING ice cream shop in Alberta called "Salt and Straw" (a MUST), or the cool looking "Vaudville Theater" that appeared abandon at this time.  Lots of fun choices but I think I'll leave Portland with the feeling of eco-loving, bike riding, organic eating, easy going people most of all...which is what will bring me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment