Friday, October 5, 2012

Eyes Wide Open


I took this shot while I was driving with a friend (Mary) to lunch.  I said, "This red hand thing is driving me nuts!  I can't figure it out!" when she replied, "Are you kidding?  It is about Kony 2012 and the child soldiers in Africa."  And my eyes were opened once again.  Years ago I was forever moved by a life changing book called "A Long Way Gone" by Ishmael Beah.  The book is written by a man who endured a childhood of being a soldier.  I educated myself on the LRA in Uganda and never came across this Red Hand movement, until today.  

Apparently, the Red Hand symbolizes the children still at war today.  Although I hate to use wiki-anything as a reference, the write up is pretty informative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hand_Day

Here's a better source, an article on the UNICEF website:

http://fieldnotes.unicefusa.org/2011/02/child-soldiers-and-red-hand-da.html

UNICEF seems like an amazing organization to me.  I am so grateful to anyone who gives their time, money and prayers to help children anywhere, for any reason.

My red hand mystery is solved and my eyes continue to be wide open...

No comments:

Post a Comment