Saturday, April 20, 2013

God Speed Boston

Hey Bebe,

As you know, I spent the past 48-ish hours in Boston, during their very tumultuous time, and it was a different city from the last visits.  The police presence was thick and the streets were empty.  I took a water taxi from my hotel over to Quincy Market and found myself tempted to buy one of these hats, but then I felt a little silly because although I have come to love this city, she doesn't belong to me.  I feel like when you wear one of these hats you should have some roots in Boston (since I have neither Italian nor Irish blood, I guess I don't).  

After the market, I walked my favorite section of the North End, Hannover Street.  I stopped in St. Mary's of the Sacred Heart and said a prayer for the city and her people.  I inhaled the heady scent of garlic in the streets and stopped for a pizza pie and a tall glass (ok, 2 tall glasses) of Chianti in a local joint.  The normally crowded streets were nearly empty.  There was the standard pack of hungry customers waiting outside Giacomo's and Mike's Pastry (yes, I bought a ridiculously indulgent lemoncello cannoli) but it wasn't the scene I experienced in the past.  

Like any American city, Boston is resilient, proud and strong.  Once they bury their lost, heal their wounded and open the streets again, Boston will be back to herself again.  Until then, I wish Boston God Speed as the healing begins.

I love you,
xxxme

No comments:

Post a Comment