Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Art Emergency

How clever is this?  It's an old hospital that's been converted into an art haven full of private studios and work spaces.  It's fantastic!  What a gem!  I lived here for nearly 5 years before I found it (and that was only because someone mentioned it).  It's on the "dodgy end" of town so I can't say that I passed it a million times but when I finally went in, I was giddy.  You enter in through a beatnik style coffee shop full of vinyl records and vintage postcards (all for sale) and work your way through the maze of corridors and small rooms.  It still looks very much like a hospital so that adds to the creepiness of the place--if the walls could talk! Some artists had studios that were formerly hospital rooms, some were surgical rooms, some offices, I guess it just depends on what's available when you go shopping for a space.  There are artists of all kinds, painters, photographers, graphic art, sculptors, and more...the eclectic nature of the space makes it even more of an adventure because you really don't know what's around each corner.  It's fun to get out and find a new treasure in an old town.  Just do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment